Friday, August 21, 2009

God makes art

Been doing a lot of thinking lately about God being in control...of everything. I don't say that to sound silly-I say it because it's awe-inspiring.

Growing up in "the church" I always heard phrases like, "God is everywhere, in everything, at all times....", and I'd always think, "You mean, God's in the concrete floors? Really?? That sounds silly, just silly...."

Turns out, I'm the silly one.

The evidence of God being in control of everything brings both humility and hope; humility in His absolute and terrifying power, and hope for the same reason.*

Do I mean that He actually stirred the concrete, poured it, smoothed it out, or maybe even stained it for effect? Or that He is somehow mixed into the actual floor? Of course not. Let me explain:

As a whole, I don't really like Modern Art. I appreciate some, really like some, but I really can't stand most. However, after spending a day at the Pompidou last year, I realized (in a way that I didn't realize in other art museums) that it was all a reaction. The entire museum was a reaction. There was an entire room devoted to art created during the mid 20th century-an entire room devoted to the reaction of WWII! Art is the response to inspiration.

Considering that God has absolute control and does as He pleases, we recognize that we are not in control and are at His mercy. Our entire life is a reaction- a response to the Creator and His will.

Due to the events that precede our lives and mold who we are-evidences of God's craftsmanship-and due to revelation, we respond. Those who are in Christ, and those who are not, will respond. He will use both believers and unbelievers to bring glory to His name.

Implications: Whether it be the concrete floors of a museum or the art on display, it is all a response. And yes, God is in the art and He is in the concrete floors-the same way Shakespeare is in Hamlet.

Let us not just respond but respond well, that He may be pleased- the One that wrote us into existence.

*His absolute and terrifying power bringing hope and humility will be a future blog topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment